Re: Requiring PTR

2008-04-14 22:10:02

At 11:33 -0700 on 04/12/2008, Carl S. Gutekunst wrote about Re: Requiring PTR:

Hector Santos wrote:
Many systems, and naively believed AOL too, I believe used services like from MAPS RBL which lookup the zone owner to determine if this was a home or business tier.

They do -- or rather, dynamic vs. static. If you're in the MAPS dynamic IP range, you won't even get a TCP connection; you'll be blocked at the firewall.

Unfortunately many so called business tiers are served from a dynamic block (or at least a dynamic block that is not flagged as business tier). In fact, many home tiers are allowed to run servers (I am one as an OptOnline BOOST user) yet are not served from an IP block that MAPS has flagged as allowed to run an MTA and thus relay messages to other MTAs or AoL.