Re: per user post-data rejects, Processing after the end of DATA

2010-08-15 05:35:44

+1.

I made this note to hopefully correlate the idea that AV vs AS can provide different level of overhead at the DATA level. IMV, AV can serve as a system-wide rejection with less per-recipient concerns - no one gets the virus, don't leave this to the user to decide is probably a better policy. AS is more subjective on a per-recipient basis thus, IMV, harder to design for at the DATA level - unless you have a system-wide view of it.

All that does have a direct optimization correlation at DATA.

Thanks

--
Sincerely

Hector Santos
http://www.santronics.com

Carl S. Gutekunst wrote:

[Is this too far off topic?]

Hector Santos wrote:
We are at a point where an ISP or rather a MSP (Mail Service Provider) not having AV software installed could be considered as a liability. I recall reading (a BNA Legal and Business newsletters) about a proposed Canadian bill that would make it a requirement otherwise fines and shutdowns can be imposed in return ISP liabilities will be reduced. I have not followed up to tell you if it was passed or not.

I think there is a difference in the V and S in AVS. AV is something that can system wide. AS is more subjective.

Anti-virus has a considerable set of cost, intrusiveness, risk, and privacy tradeoffs that motivate service providers to give customers some choices. Customers who have a small budget and reasonably savvy users might want just a single filter, perhaps ClamAV. Customers who are very risk adverse would be more likely to pay for using multiple engines. Customers who are extremely risk adverse and less sensitive about privacy (or more trusting of the provider) might want heuristic filters that aggressively flag "suspicious" mail that then requires sandboxing or human inspection for a final verdict.

And any time you give the users choices, you run the risk of a disposition conflict. Per-recipient status after the dot would fix that.

<csg>