Re: Received header field for special processing, such as "held for moderation".

2011-10-25 04:33:05

On 10/25/2011 10:33 AM, Paul Smith wrote:
On 25/10/2011 09:11, Murray S. Kucherawy wrote:
Off the top of my head, I'd prefer a new field with a new name ("Quarantined:
That would be nice - also a 'released' trace field (Received: might not be
appropriate if the message was quarantined/released WITHIN the mail server
rather than by a new one).

Think of a Received header field as providing a record of each message transition to a new queue, rather than to a new host. While the next queue /might/ be on a new host, it doesn't have to be. So mark when it goes into the moderation queue and mark when it finally moves back to the transmission queue.

The overhead of defining an implementing a new header field and making it useful is quite a bit higher than adding more use of an existing one.

In addition, this current need requires context surrounding it, to make sure that its application is sufficiently understood. A stray header field will require extra help to deal with this. A Received header field won't.

d/

--

  Dave Crocker
  Brandenburg InternetWorking