RE: Received header field for special processing, such as "held for moderation".

2011-10-25 04:47:34

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-ietf-smtp(_at_)mail(_dot_)imc(_dot_)org
[mailto:owner-ietf-smtp(_at_)mail(_dot_)imc(_dot_)org] On Behalf Of Dave
CROCKER
Sent: Tuesday, October 25, 2011 2:20 AM
To: Paul Smith
Cc: SMTP Interest Group
Subject: Re: Received header field for special processing, such as "held for
moderation".

Think of a Received header field as providing a record of each message
transition to a new queue, rather than to a new host.  While the next queue
/might/ be on a new host, it doesn't have to be.  So mark when it goes into
the
moderation queue and mark when it finally moves back to the
transmission queue.

Yeah, so that should work.  I re-read RFC5321 4.x about Trace Information and
it looks like one could just register an additional trace field clause to
contain the details (quarantined or held for moderation, and maybe the reason
in a comment, etc.).

I'm glad this conversation led me to that discovery.  It means the storage of
the client IP in a comment, as RFC5321 says to do, might be supplanted by
something a little more sensible.

Of course, in both cases, adoption might be a bit of a long shot.

-MSK