In article <565B74AE(_dot_)8080306(_at_)cs(_dot_)tcd(_dot_)ie> you write:

On 29/11/15 18:13, John Levine wrote:
 the largest mail provider in the world already redacts
most senders' location info.

As I understood it, one of the possible outcomes of this
effort might be to document the kinds of redactions that
have been done so that others could do similarly.

That would be OK as a second phase.  But we need to start by
understanding what would be worth redacting in the first place, and
what the costs of redaction are.  As noted many messages back, the
original draft charter mentioned IP addresses in SMTP Received
headers, but those generally reveal no persoanal or private
information.  And as Steve A noted, Gmail's sender address redaction
makes it harder to recognize spammers using their system.

R's,
John