As noted many messages back, the original draft charter mentioned IP addresses in SMTP Received headers, but those generally reveal no persoanal or private information.

I think the above depends on what addresses are put where and
whether or not those are redacted somewhere else. Or am I missing
something?

The SMTP received header only shows the IP of the mail servers, not of the user. In approximately 100% of cases, the location of the mail server is not interesting, and tells you nothing about the location of the user. For example, on your message to which I'm replying:

  by mail1.iecc.com ([64.57.183.56]) with ESMTPS (TLS1.2/X.509/AEAD) via
  TCP port 34923/25 id 563408838; 29 Nov 2015 22:38:49 -0000

That tells me that TCD's server is on TCD's network which is in Dublin, but it gives no hint whether you're on campus, at home somewhere in Ireland, or at a meeting on another continent.

Which brings us back to what seems like the first step to me,
which is to document what is done, presumably by those who have
done stuff for what seemed like good reasons.

At this point, I'd like to see the intersection of what people are willing to do what what seems useful. The stuff in the proposed shutup charter is presumably what someone's willing to do, but is unlikely to lead to anything useful.

Regards,