Wednesday, Dec 2, 2015 1:22 PM Richard Clayton wrote:
I know many in Law Enforcement who are extremely pained that what used
to be a trivial exercise in processing header field data from MAGY to
assess whether an investigation will be easy is no longer practical.

This has put a big delay in the way of determining how best to pursue an
email related lead (or indeed to decide whether or not a case is
tractable at all).

That may not pain you, but I assure you it pains the victims, and no I'm
not going to spend the rest of the day providing references as to the
accuracy of that claim. but reading this might give some clues:

<https://www.lightbluetouchpaper.org/2015/11/20/the-emotional-cost-of-
cybercrime/>

Does the linked article say anything to support the point you made above?
It's a study about the emotional impact of fraud, which I can tell you from
personal experience, without reading the study, is pretty overwhelming, for
many of the reasons cited in the study.

This is why I don't want 419 scammers to be able to scrape identifying info
about my elderly relatives off of their email.

As for the cops to whom you refer, who aren't mentioned in the article you
mentioned, they would probably benefit from reading the RFC we've been talking
about writing, since I suspect some of the information they need would be
captured in it.

--
Sent from Whiteout Mail - https://whiteout.io

My PGP key: https://keys.whiteout.io/mellon(_at_)fugue(_dot_)com