Wednesday, Dec 2, 2015 12:40 PM John Levine wrote:
You can kind of tell where I am from my mail headers,
but since my name and address and phone number are in the phone book,
it's hard to imagine what the damage would be.

The damage is that there are quite a few John Levines in the world.   If you
say something that triggers someone's desire to harass you, they will be able
to use your IP address to determine that it is the John Levine who lives in
Trumansburg who offended them, and then they can just google "John Levine
Trumansburg" to dox or swat you.   This is _precisely_ the problem with
revealing your IP address.   It took me about ten minutes to get your home
address, and that's because I don't have any practice.   Without the IP
address, I would have had no chance of figuring out _which_ John Levine to
target with my notional swatting or pizza delivery.  It would have taken <1
minute to find your street address except that you did a good job of chaffing
by using a P.O. Box.

--
Sent from Whiteout Mail - https://whiteout.io

My PGP key: https://keys.whiteout.io/mellon(_at_)fugue(_dot_)com