On 12/3/2015 9:57 AM, Ted Lemon wrote:
Thursday, Dec 3, 2015 4:20 AM Paul Smith wrote:
I have no problem with that. The problem I have is with the proposed charter as
it is, which skips (1) and goes straight to 'how to remove data', ignoring the
question about whether data should be removed at all.

I think there's consensus on this.   I certainly don't disagree, with the
caveat that we don't actually have a choice about whether the data is going to
be removed, just an opportunity to weigh in on whether that's a good idea.

I don't get what is the big deal. Established systems are going to do what is the best interest of their company, product line and customers. While hiding, filtering information may be a new security consideration, its not going to change the 30+ years of default SMTP expectations, and in this case, the adding of a "Received" trace line, especially for an authenticated relay operation. I expect most products will make it optional where the default will what it is today in SMTP RFC 821 (STD10), RFC 2821 and RFC5321 operations:

 [X] Add Received Line
     [_] Hide/Mask IP

The biggest issue might be to decide whether any of this should be a SYSTEM or USER option. Right now, it is system wide option, but there has been many similar privacy consideration where it made more sense to make it a USER option (or an ADMIN option to set at the user level).

Also, this I-D is informational. Should it be standard track if it indirectly updates an existing standard (STD10) mode of operation?

Side note: I have long had concerns of the IETF using "informational" docs
    as a fast track, lower threshold method as a means to an end.

Personally, If the WG is created, it should also consider looking at reducing redundancy and the major RFC5322 overhead in electronic mail that already exist. Many headers are simply not needed at all and many do leak all sorts of user information.

--
HLS