On 03/12/2015 14:53, Ted Lemon wrote:
Thursday, Dec 3, 2015 4:26 AM Paul Smith wrote:
Try finding which town *I* live in without using my email address... :-)
Wow, you've got some _epic_ chaffing going on!   First, Melbourne, UK, not Melbourne, Oz.
  And then apparently "Paul Smith" is a retailer of some sort, in both
countries, and there's a Derbyshire council member named Paul Smith, etc.

I will admit that I am stumped, but this is a bit of a perfect storm.   Having
a last name of Smith and a common first name is certainly a great way to avoid
being targeted, although it's also been known to get people in trouble.
That's because "Paul Smith" is an awesome name :-) We even have our own Facebook group ;-)

Everyone should change their name to it, then no one would be able to find anyone, and all the privacy issues would be fixed instantly!

There is a Paul Smith who got in a bit of a jam for growing pot in his garage
who lives fairly close to you.   (Or perhaps _is_ you!  :)
No, that's not me (although growing pot in garages seems to happen a lot around here...), and I'm not the fashion designer either.

Of course, the opposite side of the coin is that if you're called "Hezekiah Feedlebump", no amount of hiding IP addresses is going to stop people knowing which one you are.