Re: [ietf-smtp] Fwd: Request to form a new WG: JMAP

2016-11-07 16:47:49

1. I'll echo the comments about the very strong merits of a simple text
format.  It's served us well and withstood many transitions.  For something
more complex to be considered, it has to show (a) that it solves problems
that we concur are worth solving (b) that it doesn't create problems
we don't currently have (c) that it outperforms text *significantly*,
which to me means a minimum of an order of magnitude, preferably two.

2. I'll also echo the comments about whether or not JSON is worth dealing
with.  Very trendy, yes, but will it be so in 2019?  We *know* that
text will still be workable then.

3. If IMAP doesn't work as well as can be hoped for with mobile email
clients, then let's identify the specific issues and see if we can do
something about them in IMAP.

4. Using the web for email is a square peg-round hole problem that is
never going to admit elegant solutions.

---rsk