Re: [ietf-smtp] Fwd: Request to form a new WG: JMAP

2016-11-10 08:43:47
Ned Freed writes:
I note, however, that there have been any number of other specifications for
submit via IMAP, almost all of them better designed than this one but
neverthless all flawed in one way or another, and there has been essentially
zero uptake of any of them. What this says to me is that having two protocols for access and submit much of a concern for developers as we'd like to think.

Uhm. There's been zero uptake for stuff that requires clients to implement BOTH single-protocol AND two-protocol submission:

  if(unlikely condition)
      one implementation here
  else
      another that works in all cases

Why bother with the first branch if the second is unavoidable? Even if you like the first one better than the second? Even if the first is simpler?

Arnt