Re: [ietf-smtp] Fwd: Request to form a new WG: JMAP

2016-11-14 12:19:42
On 11/8/2016 3:54 AM, Arnt Gulbrandsen wrote:
Keith Moore writes:
Entirely agree with John and Ned, and would go even further:

This project should absolutely not be taken on unless either
a) it's very narrowly scoped (much more narrow than the description
seemed to imply) OR
b) it's such a good proposal that we'd feel comfortable deprecating
one or more existing and widely-used standard email protocols

Both of the protocols I've read are wider scoped, and IMO better.

IMO the last thing we need is Yet Another Mail Access protocol that
user agents need to support, and we might well be better off
deprecating one of the ones we have.

Stack Overflow is a nice indicator of developer interest and
activity... as I read it, gmail's REST/JSON API has overtaken POP
already and is overtaking IMAP for custom-written scripts. IMAP
dominates for general MUAs.

POP looks like a good candidate for historic status.

Of course, exploring alternatives is welcomed, but please don't advocate this. For decades, millions, if not billions, people, servers, devices, businesses and market rely on have a basic POP3 protocol. Its a fast, simple entry protocol. All else cost money. POP3 works just fine and even better these days with improves speeds and network reliability.

Thanks.

--
HLS