Re: [ietf-smtp] Fwd: Request to form a new WG: JMAP

2016-11-07 19:49:36
Entirely agree with John and Ned, and would go even further:

This project should absolutely not be taken on unless either
a) it's very narrowly scoped (much more narrow than the description seemed to imply) OR b) it's such a good proposal that we'd feel comfortable deprecating one or more existing and widely-used standard email protocols

IMO the last thing we need is Yet Another Mail Access protocol that user agents need to support, and we might well be better off deprecating one of the ones we have.

I'm not a huge fan of IMAP and it's looking pretty baroque by now, and POP is so dysfunctional and ill-suited to mobile devices that phasing it out would make sense. And a completely new protocol might actually be a good idea. But *-over-HTTPS is almost certainly going to be worse than any of the above.

Keith