Re: [ietf-smtp] Fwd: Request to form a new WG: JMAP

2016-11-09 14:13:45
On 11/10/2016 1:13 AM, Ned Freed wrote:
An extensive rework the existing IMAP protocol is a daunting task. Not only
does it require in-depth knowledge of the existing protocol, it requires
considerable knowledge of how that protocol is used.

Like it or not, a key advantage of starting over is that you don't have to
worry about backwards compatibility with anything.

The email technical community has, IMO, a really excellent track record of incremental enhancement. Anytime someone calls for tossing out one email protocol or another (or all of them) and starting over, I press to first get a clear statement of what is needed that we don't have, a basis for claiminge community consensus for it, and the basis for believing we can't do yet-more incremental enhancement to get it.

IMAP seems to be the one case where starting over is strongly worth considering, and that is because of the continuing concern over its complexity and the established challenges of getting it to work well.

As with others, I'm always concerned about the hype of currently-fashionable technical choices; on the average, I take such hype as serving to argue /against/ whatever is being promoted, if only because the hype blinds folk from doing pragmatic analysis. But JSON has been establishing a pretty reasonable track record of actual use in a variety of applications.

So let's look at the proposal in two simple terms: Is there a need, and does the existing proposal look like a good foundation for satisfying it?

d/

--

  Dave Crocker
  Brandenburg InternetWorking