Re: [ietf-smtp] Fwd: Request to form a new WG: JMAP

2016-11-08 07:30:27
Op 8-11-2016 om 02:49 schreef Keith Moore:
I'm not a huge fan of IMAP and it's looking pretty baroque by now, and POP is
so dysfunctional and ill-suited to mobile devices that phasing it out would
make sense.   And a completely new protocol might actually be a good idea.
But *-over-HTTPS is almost certainly going to be worse than any of the above.
Nobody likes current IMAP, but IMAP v5 never took off.

https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/search/?email_list=imap5

Also the Courier extension for sending email over IMAP also didn't gain much
traction.

http://www.courier-mta.org/imap/INSTALL.html#imapsend

I still believe that a coordinated push to get a new version of IMAP would beat
stuff such as JMAP.

Thanks,
Evert