Re: Congestion control

2000-12-15 09:10:03
On 14 Dec 2000 at 17:31 -0800, Dave Crocker apparently wrote:
At 03:58 PM 12/14/00 -0800, Scott Brim wrote:
Building on a previous suggestion:

Just to be clear, my suggestion is diametrically opposed to the list that
you specified.

You are suggesting very tight queue management.  By the mid-70's, Kleinrock
showed that these mechanisms do not work in the face of sustained
overload.  They only work when the problem is transient.

Rather than trying to manage the congestion, I am suggesting that we throw
money at the problem, to overbuy space so that we don't have the problem.

So, throwing bandwidth at the problem is quite cost-effective in about
85% of the cases, and congestion control is most useful at aggregation
points, say where enterprise networks meet regional networks.  It would
seem then, that we should solve the meeting room congestion by getting
really big rooms, and control access to the halls?

...Scott