Re: participation in IETF meetings

2001-10-23 11:50:02
----- Original Message -----
From: "Joe Touch" <touch(_at_)ISI(_dot_)EDU>

Although there are irony points for holding an off-line networking
meeting :-))

It is humerous in 2001, to see people sitting in a meeting, all with
their lap-tops in front of them, and all saying, "let me check the net",
or, "let me send you that via the net". It is sad, when the meetings are
de-railed by people not on-line and not connected. Those people are
living in a time-warp. Some may only read e-mail once a month. They
are out-of-date before they arrive, and never catch up.

Face-to-face meetings of course are used to perform the subtle act
of "economic discrimination". Those with the money can attend and
those who can not afford to attend are excluded. The handicapped
are also excluded. Deaf people love it when people send them e-mails
saying, "Call me, let's discuss this....yet IRC, ICQ and other tools are
not considered...".

It is not surprising that the IETF does not use the Internet. The ICANN
leaders and the ICANN Board of Directors also do not use it. Their
focus is also on face-to-face meetings. In their case, it can be better
understood because lawyers run their show. Lawyers do not like to
use the Internet for meetings because people can hold them to what
they have said. They have been trained to deal in the face-to-face world
of the courtrooms, where they can say almost anything and their goal
is to convince a judge to rule in their favor. Many of their lawyer tricks
do not work on the Internet. The Internet distills the world into truth.

In my opinion, the sooner the world moves more to the Internet, the
sooner they will discover the truth about what is really going on. There
are many people who want to censor the truth. It is a shame the IETF
has apparently been infiltrated by those people. Fortunately, in a couple
of days, the world will be able to move on, deeper into cyberspace
where the air is more pure and where people respect the value of the truth.

Jim Fleming
http://www.DOT-BIZ.com
http://www.in-addr.info
3:219 INFO