Re: participation in IETF meetings

2001-10-24 08:00:02
--> Aaron Falk writes:
On Tue, Oct 23, 2001 at 11:23:06AM -0700, Paul Hoffman / IMC wrote:

The advantage of multicast vs. tape-and-archive is the real-time
aspect for the viewer. However, this is rarely, rarely used. If it
turns out that switching from multicast to tape-and-archive can get
more camera operators in more rooms, that would be a win for more WGs.

This is a great idea! I think I've attended about fifteen IETF's now
and at each one I've been to many multicast sessions but I've never,
NEVER heard a live question from a multicast viewer. Now, perhaps
viewers have been posting questions to their repective mail lists
(I've never seen that, either). But, it seems to me that history
indicates the record is much more valuable than the live interaction.

It's not common, but I have seen questions passed from remote participants
to the meeting floor by the Mbone session operators, and I have had people
email me questions to be asked whilst I've been chairing a session (which
brings us back to the utility of wireless access in meeting rooms...)

But, I agree that having a recording of the session is often more useful
than the live multicast.

Cheers,
Colin