Re: Splitting the IETF-Announce list?

2001-11-13 16:10:02
At 4:02 PM -0600 11/13/01, Pete Resnick wrote:
I am interested in getting all of the posts to the IETF-Announce list *except* for the greatest bulk of those posts: Internet Draft announcements. I find it hard to believe that I am the only one who would prefer if the I-D announcements were on a separate mailing list. Would it be possible to implement this? If I am correct and there are an awful lot of people who are uninterested in I-D announcements,

Pete, you really should get a mail client that has an easy-to-use filtering interface. :-)

 it would cut down on outgoing mail of the secretariat substantially.

Ah, that might be a consideration. Unless it turns out that the secretariat's Internet connection bills are high, it seems worthwhile to keep the lists merged. To many of us, seeing the names and titles of new -00 drafts is as interesting as seeing RFC announcements. Further, waiting until a draft is in IETF Last Call before people notice it is not a good way to create protocols.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--Internet Mail Consortium