Re: Splitting the IETF-Announce list?

2001-11-15 01:20:02
    Date:        Wed, 14 Nov 2001 12:26:08 -0600
    From:        Pete Resnick <presnick(_at_)qualcomm(_dot_)com>

I don't care if the I-Ds get announced someplace else - it is just one
more list to join .. which is the sole downside to the proposal really,
not for most of us here, but to have to attempt to explain to everyone
new just what the dozen different (general, rather than WG) lists that
we could divide things among are all for.   It's bad enough with the
two we have now...

But:

  | Over the past week, we've been averaging 23 I-D announcements per
  | day, usually all in the AM. That's a good hunk of mail, especially on
  | those days when I'm out and about and sputtering over my poor little
  | mobile phone as my data link.

Pete - you need better mail software.   Not in your UA, but in your
server.   It should be filtering your mail for you, so when you're
travelling you get only the stuff that you really want to see now, and
not all the rest of the junk.   That way, when you're back connected
via some reasonable path (either back home, or connected to a good net
temporarily) you can fetch the rest - and then you won't have to troll
the archives to find announcements of all the rest of the IDs (I can
really just imagine people hunting through archives to locate I-D
announcements for random I-Ds ... that's something that sounds like
a highly appealing occupation).

kre