Re: Why IPv6 is a must?

2001-11-26 06:40:02
One question.

1) Cell phones (historically <2 yr replacement cycle)
2) PCs with IPv6 installed (less than 5 yr replacement cycle)
3) new devices that plug into residential networks (mostly new)

What stops the new devices from having v4 with NAT to translate between the
internet and the house.  I understand there's a security issues but then so
what.  I'm concerned that if this does happen then the migration to v6 will
slow down.

We should note IPv6 has been planned, products have been built and
deployment will occur.  It is being driven by people who have a vested
interest in having a solution to the address run-out problem.

(good news in the last 10 years is that Internet has gotten really good
at deploying HTTP proxies, something we did not really bet on back in
1991/1992.   This is going to aid transition immensely as we move
forward).

I concur that the routing guys have some work in front of them.   May I
suggest people take a closer look at hierarchical routing, combined
provider and geographic hierarchies, and adult supervision?

Regards, peter