Re: Why IPv6 is a must?

2001-11-09 15:10:01
somebody needs to define an alternative to midcom that uses IPv6
prefixes to name the addressing realms, and an algorithm  to map
(prefix name + NATted IPv4 address) into an IPv6 address.

nobody says you have to actually be willing to route traffic to
those IPv6 addresses, but you could use them in midcom as
unambiguous host names for pinhole specification, and you could
use them in network management.  and if/when you did decide to
actually route IPv6 traffic, management would be considerably
simplified by being able to use the same addresses.

Keith

From: "Perry E. Metzger" <perry(_at_)wasabisystems(_dot_)com>
To: Keith Moore <moore(_at_)cs(_dot_)utk(_dot_)edu>
Cc: "Tony Hain" <alh-ietf(_at_)tndh(_dot_)net>,
Valdis(_dot_)Kletnieks(_at_)VT(_dot_)EDU,
        "Hans Kruse" <kruse(_at_)ohio(_dot_)edu>, ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: Why IPv6 is a must?

Keith Moore <moore(_at_)cs(_dot_)utk(_dot_)edu> writes:
I don't see a "killer IPv6-based business app" as likely,

I think I know one. Network management and administration. There is no
way in some of today's deeply NATed v4 networks to do adequate network
management -- monitoring is especially hard. Overlaying a v6 network
with a real address space over the NAT mess is easy, and results in
being able to actually get to all the nodes being managed.