RE: Why IPv6 is a must?

2001-11-06 10:30:02
Huh?  I've been running PPTP over NAT for years - I'm doing it right
now.  But it would be great if the ISPs began to migrate; tools (e.g.
tunneling) are available to allow them to do so even if their upstreams
lag.

-----Original Message-----
From: Rinka Singh [mailto:srinka(_at_)NOVELL(_dot_)COM]
Sent: Tuesday, November 06, 2001 5:50 AM
To: J. Noel Chiappa; ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: Why IPv6 is a must?

That's right today.

Another 5 years later you would be singing a different tune. -
scalability, better bandwidth management (a.k.a QOS), mobile devices,
internet appliances will nail v4 down - UMTS will add some spice to the
pot.  I agree a user cannot do much unless the ISPs and Org
routers/switches deploy v6.  But that's not too far away as more
sophisticated uses come up.

Incidentally, have you tried running apps like ftp over IPsec or
L2TP/PPTP over NAT.

Rinka.