Re: Fwd: Re: IP: Microsoft breaks Mime specification

2002-01-23 11:20:02
At 10:30 AM 1/22/2002, Einar Stefferud wrote:
At the minimum, such violations of IETF Standards should be formally noted in a letter from the IAB to the offending vendor, whoever that might be, when such information becomes available to the IESG or the IAB.

Among other things, such notices would result in a formally recorded track record for the offending vendor, which should be made public by CC to the IETF mailing list, as these are public standards, which are of public interest and public record.

This assumes that the IESG or IAB care about such violations, in the interests of promoting vendor conformance with their standards.

Hi Stef,

I think that this misunderstands the nature of the specifications you're referencing. They are not laws, for which a violation merits some form of censure. They are specifications for how players are intended to interact in a process to process conversation. To quote RFC 1122:

   These documents are intended to provide guidance for vendors,
   implementors, and users of Internet communication software.  They
   represent the consensus of a large body of technical experience and
   wisdom, contributed by the members of the Internet research and
   vendor communities.

The fact is that this consensus changes over time, as we learn more about the technology, and we do a fair bit of work to keep the current consensus documented. For example, RFC 1122 spends a fair bit on the subject of all-subnets broadcasts. However (because we subsequently figured out that they don't work), RFC 1812 says:

4.2.2.10 Multi-subnet Broadcasts: RFC 922

   All-subnets broadcasts (called multi-subnet broadcasts in
   [INTERNET:3]) have been deprecated.  See Section [5.3.5.3].

So what is more important than conformance and conformance testing (which you will remember the OSI making a big industry out of and yet failing to have interoperable implementations in any meaningful way) is interoperability testing. This has traditionally been done in bake-off events (apologies to Pillsbury) or in labs back at the ranch. One who is concerned about the interoperability of a set of implementations organizes it, invites and motivates the various implementors to be involved, works out a test plan with them, and conducts the test. This presumes an underlying commitment to interoperate.