Re: Jabber BOF afterthoughts

regardless, there are numerous precedents to invalidate your position that
we can work on only one. the most obvious is cpim, which explicitly
acknowledges the existence of many.

Understood.. but Marshall I never wrote there should only be one. I am
keeping a open mind on this as I noted in my previous message. I just have
reasonable concern, as a SIP bigot, that multiple IM/P protocols coming out
of the IETF could cause confusion in the market and that would be a bad
thing for IM/P in general. I could be wrong.

The contrary argument, of course, is that the SIP architecture of uniting
multiple forms of real-time communications is so inherently powerful that
it can withstand any competing approach.

however, if you insist that there can be only one, then perhaps the logical
thing to do is for the iesg to put eveything on hold while we do a detailed
analysis of the technical merits of the various approaches.

Again ... I'm not dismissing the idea of working on Jabber ..ist just that
there may be some larger issues here  surrounding the general case of XML
transport as we discussed at the BOF and  Patrik raised in the plenary.

Pete asked at the BOF ..."well could you support the work if it was part of
a larger effort on XML transport"  Well my answer to that is yes.

for myself, i think that the simple folks would be much better served by
focusing on their work product than on political posturing.

Well I suspect we are much closer to agreement than you might imagine and I
wholeheartedly agree with the comments posted by my colleague Jon Peterson
on the matter...and after all he is the co-chair of SIMPLE.

/mtr

Richard Shockey, Senior Manager, Strategic Technology Initiatives
NeuStar Inc.
45980 Center Oak Plaza   Bldg 8     Sterling, VA  20166
1120 Vermont Ave NW Suite 400 Washington DC 20005
Voice +1 571.434.5651 Cell : +1 314.503.0640,  Fax: +1 815.333.1237
<mailto: rshockey(_at_)ix(_dot_)netcom(_dot_)com> or
<mailto: rich(_dot_)shockey(_at_)neustar(_dot_)biz>
<http://www.neustar.biz>
<http://www.enum.org>