Re: get technical, please? , Re: Trees have one root

2002-07-31 00:10:56
On Tue, 30 Jul 2002 21:37:06 PDT, Ed Gerck said:

BTW, please note that your case #6 just leads to an upper level, where
it can again become decidable. For example, if two companies are named

OK.. I'll bite - WHICH upper level do you go to, if you're arguing for
multiple roots?  And how do you find all candidate roots *without* positing
a central repository of roots (since such a central repository would itself
be a root, no?)

Harris Motor Company, "The Best Car at Any Price" at Harris.COM
Harris Motor Company, "Built Like a Rock" at Harris.COM

All you're making a case for here is that a lot of stuff should be registered
under FOO.BIZ.town.state.US rather than FOO.COM, and that DNS is a white
pages and we need a yellow pages to match.

Also, you're side-stepping the fact that quite often, there *IS* no option
for "automatic reply to your request for" - remember that gethostbyname()
isn't called *ONLY* in web browsers and MUAs - it's called a lot from
within automated software as well...

Hmm.. I wonder how many systems will refuse to boot if I register a TLD
called 'localhost' in The Other Root, and watch everything hang on the
way up with "automatic reply to your request". Anybody who thinks that
this is Just Silly should consider that BGP announcements of RFC1918
space into the public Internet are a daily occurrence, once in a while
somebody announces default, and there's always AS7007 ;)