get technical, please? , Re: Trees have one root

2002-07-30 15:54:17

"Ole J. Jacobsen" wrote:

But when the "navive user" has his or her config altered in this way, it
is likely to cause confusion and frustration when Joe can reach .STEF,
but Mary can't.

Ole,

Your misspelling above seems to betray the highly-emotional tones
that this discussion, as well as anything that is DNS/ICANN related,
touches off.  BTW, the "naive" user would not alter her/is config and
so would not see any problem.

Choice is a fine thing, incompatibility is not.

Having one Internet is a good thing.

These slogans seem to point the same way.  Can we please go back (or
begin) a technical discussion?    As Editor and Publisher of a technical
journal, I would expect you to help make the difference -- not blur the
difference with things like "Uncle" and emotional tones.

And I am waiting to hear some substantive technical arguments why a
name query cannot have more than one answer and still be resolvable,
when everything else we ask in life has more than one answer and yet
we are able to resolve them. To set the groundwork for an attempt to such
answer, let me recall that the DNS seems to be the only logical system that
tries to  be both complete and resolvable, when we know for a mathematical
fact that these two qualities do not go together for a system with a complexity
larger than arithmetics.

Cheers,
Ed Gerck
Not an Editor and Publisher ;-)