Re: get technical, please? , Re: Trees have one root

2002-07-30 17:15:00

"vinton g. cerf" wrote:

ed, how would you suggest to resolve an email address if it returns ambiguous
results?

Vint:

1. Short answer -- For example, by embedding a resolution rule and referring
decidability to the end point, as done in this real case:
-----------actual message-----------------------------------------
From aliasadm(_at_)Harris(_dot_)COM Fri Apr 18 12:14:08 1997
 From: aliasadm(_at_)Harris(_dot_)COM
 Subject: Automatic reply Status: RO X-Status:

 This is an automatic reply to your message addressed to:

  STEVEN(_dot_)MORGAN(_at_)Harris(_dot_)COM

2 Harris e-mail recipients are named STEVEN(_dot_)MORGAN(_at_)Harris(_dot_)COM

 Please resend your correspondence to one of the following accounts  using the
unique e-mail address shown on the right.

 MORGAN,STEVEN S CORP 1-407-724-3378 SMORGA02(_at_)harris(_dot_)com

 MORGAN,STEVEN W ESS 1-408-734-6711 SMORGA03(_at_)harris(_dot_)com
 ---- Original Message Follows ----

2. Long Answer:
If a name query returns two answers (and today's systems may do just that, too
--
see above "short answer") but we have a meta-system that is able to disambiguate
them for us or offer us a choice to do so (as we are used to, for example in

IMO, this is just an example that the DNS needs to move from art to science.
Part of this is that we need to find a logical way to describe the problems and
the
solutions. In other words, part of the problem in the DNS discussions, IMO, is
that
there is not even a language to describe the problem.  Public discussions should
help develop such language. And my thought is that if we are willing to use
public
discussions to mine the gold of truth, then we need to be open and receptive to
those
discussions.

Cheers,
Ed Gerck