Re: 0:212 BIZ

2002-08-06 21:13:17
----- Original Message -----
From: "Einar Stefferud" <Steflist(_at_)thor(_dot_)nma(_dot_)com>

I am not a .biz domain holder, and have no interest in being one.

Stef,

With all due respect, you may be missing the simple fact that the sum total
of serious SLD.BIZ owners will determine the fate of .BIZ. Since you are
not part of that "tribe" or population, it may be hard to recognize that the
"roots" do not matter. If you were, you would recognize that you would
have two (or more) private nameservers supporting queries for your SLD.BIZ
name. A serious .BIZ owner would make sure that all paths lead to their
nameservers when queries are made for SLD.BIZ. Once a query comes
to their servers, they do not care how it got there. Many ISPs point directly
at the TLD Clusters, and do not need or use any "root". Roots provide hints
to help bootstrap people, once a TLD Cluster is located, it knows about
itself and one can track changes to it by asking it, not an out-of-date "root".
An ISP can also fail-over to the other .BIZ Cluster, if the first Cluster they
are tracking goes away. Yes, yes, I know, big companies like Enron and
Worldcom do not ever fail. Just ignore that and keep your head in the sand.
I doubt that serious .BIZ owners will want to risk a single-point-of-corporate
failure. That is likely why there are two Proof-of-Concept .BIZ Registries.
Register in BOTH, and your "toy" Internet works. There is then no "collision"
for your SLD.BIZ name, which you choose not to own.

Jim Fleming
2002:[IPv4]:000X:03DB
http://www.iana.org/assignments/ipv4-address-space
http://www.ntia.doc.gov/ntiahome/domainname/130dftmail/unir.txt