Re: CLOSE ASRG NOW IT HAS FAILED

2003-06-16 13:39:14
The IPR policy (controversial as it might be), has nothing to do with who
can post to an IETF list. There is no reasonable basis to limit posts
because a person is involved in other groups. It has nothing to do with
any so-called 'emphasis on design teams and directorates', which seems to
be little more than a codeword for suppression of certain viewpoints.

This is merely a transparent and inappropriate attempt to suppress certain
viewpoints, in apparent violation of RFC 2026 10.4(A). The IETF is to take
no position on the topic.

I note that Mr. Vixie has told me in the past that he supports the concept
of software patents. This is something that I and others involved with the
LPF, and John McCarthy, Don Knuth, Richard Stallman, and many, many other
luminaries of Computer Science, have fought against for many years.
Indeed, there is recently renewed interest in changing these laws, as
venture capitalists are finally beginning to come over to our side of the
debate.

It is quite clear where some people stand on the issue of intellectual
property. However, it is inappropriate for them to use their influence at
the IETF to suppress competing viewpoints in violation of the IETF
non-position.

Dean Anderson
Speaking as President of the League for Progamming Freedom