Re: myth of the great transition (was US Defense Department forma lly adopts IPv6)

2003-06-18 16:32:47
Iljitsch van Beijnum writes:
On woensdag, jun 18, 2003, at 21:17 Europe/Amsterdam, Bob Braden wrote:

Since 1980 we have believed that universal connectivity was one of the
great achievements of the Internet design.  Today, one must
unfortunately question whether universal connectivity can be sustained
(or is even the right goal) in a networking environment without
universal trust.

I think we can safely say that 99.99% of all systems that run IP don't
want to talk to 99.99% of all systems that run IP. For most people,
with a network this large, universal connectivity isn't a goal but a
threat. But this shouldn't be confused with universal addressability
being undesirable, because this only gets more important as the size of
the network increases.

Voice challenges this assumption to a very large
degree. In fact, I not only want access to 99.99%
of the other nodes on the net willing to speak
RTP, but I most certainly don't want to be forced
to go through some forced eavesdrop-tapping,
terrorist-witchhunting intermediary that is
subject to the whims of certain fanatics from
Missouri and Utah who are convinced that peetopee
is the spawn of Satan.

             Mike