firewall logic (was Re: myth of the great transition)

2003-06-19 08:56:52
I believe the primary purpose of firewalls should be to protect the
network, not the hosts, from abusive or unauthorized usage.

So for every firewall you purchase and install, you can focus its
configuration and operation on protecting the network from your users. I
trust you agree that it's appropriate for the rest of the world to be
free to make similar decisions in what they choose to be their own
perceived best interest?

we're talking about different things.  I'm talking about architecture and
specifically what separation of function/responsibility between firewalls and
the network would allow both security and flexibility to be maximized.
you're talking about decisions that people make between products that work
with (or against) the existing architecture.