RE: A modest proposal - allow the ID repository to hold xml

2003-09-03 10:31:04
Jari

If we have xml in the archive, then there are several tools
that can serve you up your choice of formats from that archive.
I don't think the value of storing the html bits in the archive
is all that much additional value.  One could have a website
that delivered such a thing without storing the html bits.
Such a site would permit the hyperlinking that you are talking
about.  We also avoid heated discussions about what was allowable
in the html, what version of which tools, etc.  This is a contentious
enough issue ("rough consensus and running code" applies, right?),
and making it bigger makes it harder to reach rough consensus.
Let's just do one simple thing -- allow xml, and see how it goes.

Brian

-----Original Message-----
From: Jari Arkko [mailto:jari(_dot_)arkko(_at_)piuha(_dot_)net]
Sent: Wednesday, September 03, 2003 1:28 AM
To: Michael Thomas
Cc: Paul Hoffman / IMC; Rosen, Brian; 'ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org'
Subject: Re: A modest proposal - allow the ID repository to hold xml

Michael Thomas wrote:
Paul Hoffman / IMC writes:
 > At 1:22 PM -0400 9/2/03, Rosen, Brian wrote:
 > >2) Ability to cross reference documents
 >
 > That benefit only appears if all, or a significant
proportion, of the
 > Internet Drafts are in XML or a similar format. That's
not what you
 > proposed.

   It seems to me that a fairly simple hack could be
   consed up to generate HTML or whatever for current

I'd very much like to allow the submission of XML to the
I-D directories.

However, in addition I'd like to actually allow the
submission of HTML, generated by xml2rfc. Why? Because
I'd really like to browse most drafts through my browser,
jump to sections,  find the references easily etc. And without
performing any extra steps by myself.

(It may be that this is possible via XML as well -- I'm
not expert in XML so I can't tell if its readily supported
by everyone's browser without loading lots of DTDs. Does
someone know?)

And all of these submission formats should be allowed if
and only there's a text version to go with it.

--Jari