Re: Proposal to define a simple architecture to differentiate legitimate bulk email from Spam (UBE)

2003-09-06 19:38:29
One additional point in response to this point:

So let's see.. Currently, if your bank sells your e-mail address to another
company,
you get spammed.  So instead, you'll have it so that you check your bank's POP
server in case there's important mail about your mortgage.  Seems like the
obvious
scheme is for the bank to charge the other company to put stuff in your POP
mailbox.

So you still get spammed...

In addition to what I wrote below, remember that when the bank is sending me an
individual email regarding some business I am conducting with them, they are
not sending that email in bulk (to any one else).  They could send that
directly to my email.  If they are indeed sending a similar email  to ALL their
clients at the same time, then in that case they are sending bulk email.  So
with my proposal, it just forces business to separate their business email from
their marketing bulk email.  If I trust my bank to send only important bulk
email, then I can add that POP account to ones that my email client checks
regularly (as regularly as I chose, not as my bank choses...gives me the
control).

Given that email is insecure transmission medium, no business should be sending
me anything too important in email.  They had better have an alternative means
of getting in contact with me about important and urgent matters.

---I wrote before only----
No.  Because you can chose to not check it and/or you at least know who is
spamming you and can hold them responsible directly.  Thus your bank would stop
doing it, because they make $ by not losing your business.