Re: IETF58 - Network Status - 12:05PM Local Time

2003-11-10 18:20:19
Anyone running hostap there;)

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003, JORDI PALET MARTINEZ wrote:

Is a very bad behavior from some people that it seems don't know how to use
their own computer.

I will say that this people should pay 5 times the normal fee in the next
IETF meeting, because the big number of troubles that they create to the rest
of the participants.

We all have a lot of work to do, and can't waste our time because this people.

Sorry, but is what I feel right now, after spending 2 hours trying to get my
email.

Regards,
Jordi

----- Original Message -----
From: "Roland Bless" <bless(_at_)tm(_dot_)uka(_dot_)de>
To: "Brett Thorson" <bthorson(_at_)foretec(_dot_)com>
Cc: <ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>; <58crew(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>
Sent: Monday, November 10, 2003 4:22 PM
Subject: Re: IETF58 - Network Status - 12:05PM Local Time

Hi,

We have been getting some reports of rooted machines (IETF Attendee
machines,
not IETF NOC Machines) that are scanning and causing a lot of traffic on
the
network.  IP Addresses are:
130.129.139.106
130.129.139.203
Please check your machines for these addresses.  If they are yours, please
stop by the terminal room, and ask for help.

It's not only this, but people are still running their cards in ad-hoc mode.
While I'm not an expert on this, I just saw several cards in ad-hoc mode
in Salon B (mip6 session).
There is an ongoing AODV test and I asked the guys at the help desk whether
there may be problems with WLAN infrastructure. They said, "oh no, as long
as the ssid is different from ietf58, there should be no problem". However,
I just saw my card (in managed mode) connecting to a card in ad-hoc mode
with a different ssid than ietf58 (I scanned that with my PDA at the same
time).
My Orinoco card has the latest firmware (8.72) and possibly my linux driver
is broken, but obviously there exists this subtle difference between theory
and practice (at least for my configuration, sorry). This is really
annoying,
because it happened several times today.
Besides the fact that I've also seen cards in ad-hoc mode advertising
"ietf58",
I was wondering what others think about interference between ad-hoc mode and
infrastructure mode.

We are monitoring the mailing list 58crew(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org for
problems.
Comments, suggestions, issues are very welcome here.
We would rather hear of a problem many times on the list, then not at all
or
by way of rumor through the meetings.  Please let us know your concerns.

Thanks for your support,
 Roland

**********************************
Madrid 2003 Global IPv6 Summit
Presentations and videos on line at:
http://www.ipv6-es.com

confidential. The information is intended to be for the use of the
individual(s) named above. If you are not the intended recipient be aware
that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this
information, including attached files, is prohibited.

sleekfreak pirate broadcast
world tour 2002-3
live from the pirate hideout
http://sleekfreak.ath.cx:81/