Re: IETF58 - Network Status - 12:05PM Local Time

2003-11-11 10:41:47
On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 09:55:59 EST, Nathaniel Borenstein
<nsb(_at_)guppylake(_dot_)com>  said:

And if it's this easy to mess up maliciously, well.... maybe we should
be commissioning an IETF police force that will develop the tools to
track down the offending laptops in real time and pour diet Coke in
their network cards?  -- Nathaniel

Remember that half the people out there are of below average intelligence.
Also, half of them are below average moral fiber.

Any protocol that doesn't allow for this is doomed to disaster.  The only
reason BGP works is most providers do at least some filtering of the
cluon-lacking before giving them the enable password on the routers.
Similarly, the current spam problem is due to SMTP's design ignoring the
second (I'll leave open the question on whether this is a sender or
receiver issue ;)

Even given the tools, who will track down offending laptops in real time
once it deploys in the real world? (I have at least 3 co-workers that I
know of that have laptops with wireless for use at work, who have been
surprised to find themselves on a wireless net when they get home, even
when they don't have an access point.  Sometimes, the line between ad-hoc
and ad-crock is drawn with a #00 pencil).