Re: IETF58 - Network Status

2003-11-18 08:05:31
I have a similar opinion ...

I believe that the terminal room, with wired connectivity, is no longer needed.
But the terminal room, as a place with tables, is very convenient (but still
using wireless).

We can save in the cost of the wired network, and the cost of the security to
keep that room "surveilled". The NOC can have a different room, with a key, and
even an IP camera looking at the terminal room if is considered that a minimum
surveillance is still useful/needed (I don't think anyone want to take out the
printer, but just in case !).

An alternative is to ask for some tables in all the meeting rooms. This was
actually quite useful in Vienna.

Regards,
Jordi

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bob Hinden" <bob(_dot_)hinden(_at_)nokia(_dot_)com>
To: "Keith Moore" <moore(_at_)cs(_dot_)utk(_dot_)edu>
Cc: <ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>
Sent: Monday, November 17, 2003 11:13 PM
Subject: Re: IETF58 - Network Status

Keith,

Maybe that's the real problem - people think they are paying for the
wireless network as part of the conference fee, when the reality (as I
understand it) is that a substantial part of the cost of the wireless
network comes from sponsors, donors, and/or volunteers.

The network (i.e., internet connectivity, wired infrastructure, and
wireless) is the responsibility of the local host or in the case of the
no-host meetings (like Minneapolis) the IETF secretariat.  So I think at
least in the case of the no-host meetings we are paying for the network
(wired and wireless).  My understanding is that even with lots of donations
of services, the network is an expensive undertaking.  Also, from our
experience hosting the Atlanta meeting I suspect that not having a terminal
room and only having wireless access probably saves money.

Bob

Madrid 2003 Global IPv6 Summit
Presentations and videos on line at:
http://www.ipv6-es.com

confidential. The information is intended to be for the use of the
individual(s) named above. If you are not the intended recipient be aware that
information, including attached files, is prohibited.