Re: IETF58 - Network Status

2003-11-18 15:23:07
On 18-nov-03, at 19:48, Keith Moore wrote:

I already indicated before: 100-150 Euros more is not a big issue.

I strongly and emphatically disagree, and I strongly object to attempts to use of increased meeting feeds to discourage some parties from participating at IETF. Basically this kind of fee increase is completely and absolutely
unacceptable.

Especially considering the fact that based on the budget for 2003 (see http://www.ietf.org/u/ietfchair/budget-2003.html ) the costs per attendee are less than 300 dollars, even at the lower than projected attendance.

Maybe this would be a good time to explain what the IETF needs a 9.33 person secretariat for, and why the secretariat must be entirely funded by meeting fees.

As for the network: Vienna has shown that it's possible to do better. At the same time, with 1000+ people in a room performance isn't going to be great. Poor network performance during plenaries and other crowded sessions isn't the end of the world as long as the network functions well elsewhere.