Re: IETF58 - Network Status

2003-11-18 10:15:49
On Tue, Nov 18, 2003 04:39:03PM +0100, Roland Bless allegedly wrote:
On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 15:53:09 +0100 "JORDI PALET MARTINEZ"
<jordi(_dot_)palet(_at_)consulintel(_dot_)es> wrote:

I believe that the terminal room, with wired connectivity, is no
longer needed. But the terminal room, as a place with tables, is
very

I disagree here. Having a _stable_ (fallback) network access,
especially when shifting around larger files, is very convenient. I'm
not in favor of abandoning the fixed net access (except if cutting
down the costs require it).

Fairly soon, all relevant hotels will offer their own wireless access,
as well as connectivity from your room, and from suites, as a fallback.
Also, in a meeting, one can pass CDs or USB thingies around.  Risk of
serious long-term wireless outage is low.  How much are you willing to
pay in order to reduce risk to 0% and to have your fallback network be
nice and convenient?  IETF finances are not in good shape.