Re: Adding [ietf] considered harmful

2003-12-17 17:09:01

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003, Keith Moore wrote:

Because we, people on the road, use various mail systems and even web
based mail

so do the rest of us.  ever tried to read mail from a palm pilot?
those [foo] turds get *really* annoying...

Why such a war for just 6 characters, while all mailing lists do it?

because I've tried it, and found it to be a royal pain in the wazoo.

Have you been out there?

yup.

Let's give it a try and see...

feel free to set up your own list mirror that prepends [ietf].

Or for all of those so free with advice that the rest of us endeavor to
program our clients, servers, etc. to add the tag, you could just program
yours to remove it. Clearly y'all have more expertise in this space and
interest in gaining expertise with mail software. Should be a snap.

Or just change the IETF list manager to which which makes addition of the
tag optional by subscriber. I've encountered that feature in the past so I
know it is available.

Dave Morris