Re: Adding SpamAssassin Headers to IETF mail

2003-12-17 13:12:45
On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 11:04:21 PST, David Morris said:

The point of [ietf] has little to do with programatic filters and much to
do with human visual filtering. Seeing the list tag in the list of
subjects provided in the index list provided by my mail client makes
human prioritization much easier. Headers are for programs, subject
content is for humans. There is a need though you may not feel the need.

Procmail is your friend

:0
*^Return-path:(_dot_)*owner-ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
{

  :0
  * ^Subject:\/.+
  OLDSUB="$MATCH"

  :0 hwf
  | formail -I "Subject: [ietf] $OLDSUB"
}

It can probably be done more simply - I'm just winging it here.

(Yes, I know procmail isn't available on a certain popular system.  I don't
have much sympathy for the position that the IETF list should do substandard
things in order to support people who insist on using substandard tools.)

Proper chasing of Message-Id: and References: will even allow visualisation of
threading for off-list replies with changed Subject: lines, which is obviously
not anything the IETF mail server can help with.