Re: Last Call: 'The IESG and RFC Editor documents: Procedures' to BCP

2004-05-11 09:47:10
Scott, Harald,

It seems to me that this problem/ disagreement could be easily solved while preserving the (IMO, valid) points both of you are making, by including a sentence somewhere to the effect of...

        Of course, the IESG or individual ADs may have
        discussions with the author during this period about
        other possible ways to handle the document.  Should that
        discussion result in a voluntary action by the author to
        drop the request to the RFC Editor to publist, the
        document moves immediately outside the scope of this
        specification.

Now, that may not be the right phrasing in context, and can certainly be improved. But I think it covers the full range of from "we really think this should be standardized, why not let us process it that way" to "if you insist on publishing that thing, I'm going to break both of your legs". The question of whether those actions are appropriate is a separate issue, but the IESG has never been able to insist on either standardization or withdrawal. And, as far as I know, both actions are identical as far as the RFC Editor is concerned: the document is spontaneously withdrawn as an individual submission.

      john