Re: archives (was The other parts of the report....

2004-09-14 09:27:02
On Tue, Sep 14, 2004 10:49:19AM -0400, Eric Rosen allegedly wrote:
I've never  thought that  the IETF  was OBLIGATED to  "hide" old
I-Ds; that seems a rather far-fetched interpretation of anything in
RFC 2026.

Also it's impossible.

In a perfect system, someone would go to the IETF's official I-D page,
enter a draft name,  and get a prominent pointer to the  most recent
version (even if it  is now an RFC  or a draft with  a different
name), along  with a less prominent pointer to the thing they actually
asked for.

In the current situation, with the IETF pretending that old versions are
not accessible, and with drafts apparently disappearing as they change
WG status or become RFCs, people have to work very hard to find out if a
particular draft is outdated.  This is a major factor in their depending
on wrong information.  So, instead of trying to suppress information,
which we can't, we should create and offer the meta-information people
need to avoid mistakes.

If  that can't  be  done, it  might be  better  to keep  the expired
drafts "officially  hidden".   Not  for  the   reasons  being  given
by  our  more academically inclined  colleagues, but  for the
practical  reasons described above.  Sure, the expired drafts might be
obtainable via Google, but getting something from  Google is  a bit
different than getting  it via  the IETF's official web page.

Suppose they could get them from some reliable source (e.g. IETF) and
also had extremely available meta-info?

swb