Re: archives (was The other parts of the report....

2004-09-13 15:30:46

Bob,

I understand the sentiment of the FFs. The only problem is:

- Once something is published, it is really, really hard to unpublish it.

- Before something becomes a final stable document/standard, it is useful
  to be able to actually refer to it, somehow.

- Even if something never becomes a standard, it may still be useful to
  be able to refer to it.

- The analogy to academic papers is not quite correct as many, many IDs
  never make it beyond "published for information" or "current snapshot
  of X" status. These snapshots, like the mailing list archives, can
  be useful for someone seeking to gain the "larger picture."

I can't really see that there is much difference (at least in some cases)
between and obsolete RFC and an obsolete ID. Readers of the RFCs must
refer to the index to figure out if they have the most recent incarnation,
and it seems to me that a similar mechanism (as outlined by Scott) could
be employed for the IDs.

Relying on IDs timing out and magically disappearing is certainly not
going to work.

Ole

Ole J. Jacobsen
Academic Research and Technology Initiatives, Cisco Systems
Tel: +1 408-527-8972   GSM: +1 415-370-4628
E-mail: ole(_at_)cisco(_dot_)com  URL: http://www.cisco.com/ipj