Re: archives (was The other parts of the report....

2004-09-12 07:16:22
touch(_at_)ISI(_dot_)EDU (Joe Touch)  wrote on 11.09.04 in
<41439AE7(_dot_)6030703(_at_)isi(_dot_)edu>:

Spencer Dawkins wrote:

Dear Harald-the-General-AD,

Can we PLEASE do as Melinda says - change the policy now for new drafts?

That may have a chilling effect on new drafts. I.e., this isn't as
simple as "let's just change it now for future stuff".

"Chilling effect" - from *publishing* already-published material that's
already copied all over the net?

That sounds rather ridiculous.

How would that effect work on material meant for RFCs, or for working
group work (where the list archives are already public forever)?

And if it works on some other kind of draft, would we actually care?

IMO, changing the policy would indeed be "making the problem worse".

I have yet to see a coherent argument for that.

MfG Kai