Re: Complaining about ADs to Nomcom (Re: Voting (again))

2005-04-26 12:06:08
I'll chime in on this, having been a NomCom'er at one time.

"Inexperienced people on Nomcom"

In my year, there were quite a few who would fit this category. I found these folks to be quite objective and a refreshing source of questions.

The one hindering factor was that they, because of not having the history, did not know the direction in which to "search."

"Influence of Liaison Members"

And that is where the liaison members came in. Liaison is kind of a misnomer, the data transfer is one way - into the NomCom. NomCom Liaisons do not (hopefully) take NomCom data back to the other organization.

That leads into this most important point:

"Complain about an AD, but also nominate candidates who are interested
in the job" or 'there were no other choices' might well be true

Especially for NomComs that are thin on experience. NomCom'ers don't have an obvious way to recruit candidates. The only approach is based on "who you can think of" (besides those whose name are submitted) - which winds up being a popularity contest. A meritocracy it isn't.