Re: Complaining about ADs to Nomcom (Re: Voting (again))

2005-04-27 03:59:46

Hi Lakshminath,

As the title indicates, it is not sufficient to just complain about an AD (I guess it might be sufficient in the "Recall" process), it is also necessary to provide a pool of, or just one for that matter, candidates who are interested and qualified. Yes, I have real examples. (May I suggest that Nomcom procedures be revised to make the final candidate list, or at least the number of interested candidates for each position, be made public?)

I like this suggestion. But first: I'd rather call this thread "feedback"
than "complaining", because I hope the nomcom gets a lot of input
and not just when someone is doing badly.

But back to the suggestion. I have beeing trying to send a lot of
input on various positions and candidates to the nomcom in recent
years. But from the point of view of a regular IETF participant this
isn't always easy. Basically, the problem is that we have a lot of
input to give you, but we lack the data about the candidates!

Of course, we can easily give you feedback on the current AD.
But we've had a large number of people leave the IAB and IESG
recently, and it isn't easy to provide feedback about potential
candidates. Sometimes I tried to do that, just to be surprised that
the people I commented on weren't even running or someone
I didn't know or didn't consider as a potential candidate was in
the process. The nomcom goes out to the area chairs and other
contributors and solicits feedback, revealing at least some of
the potential candidate names. This helps, but its fairly limited.
Or at least I would have wanted to give more feedback on more
areas than I received questions from the nomcom.

I would suggest that (agreeing) candidate lists be made public
early in the process, in order to make it easier for the IETFers to
provide you feedback. This would also increase the transparency
of the process. And yes, I am aware of the argument that some
candidates might be shy to reveal that they are running for the
job. But we are a major organization, and I would suggest that
the benefits for the organization outweigh benefits (if any) for
the candidates.

--Jari