RE: EARLY submission deadline - Fact or Fiction?

2005-11-29 12:28:12
Marshall,

        I don't disagree that having more than one person involved
in making an exception makes the exception-making process more
visible.  It makes it harder as well.

        Part of the complexity (and surprise) involved in allowing
exceptions is when the meeting attendees assume late submissions
will not be allowed and budget their reading time accordingly -
only to find out that they were wrong.

        Never mind the case where a submission occurs really late
- what about the submission that occurs just in time for an IETF
meeting-goer to print it out (or E-Copy it to their local system)
for reading on the plane.  If they (mistakenly) believe that the
draft will not be allowed because it is really late, they will
most likely print/copy and read other drafts.

        In one recent case, a raft of late IDs were allowed, most
likely because the affected WG would otherwise have had little
reason to meet.  Many, if not most, people had not read these
drafts because of - among other things - day-job pressures and
the need to read and determine comments/questions on other work.

        In my opinion, it would have been better if those drafts
had not been allowed - especially since we have now established
a precendence that deadlines for IDs in that WG are irrelevant.
Attending future meetings of that WG is very likely to be a bit
too interesting.

        IMO, more important than the long term visibility is the
short term commitment of the WG and - particularly - WG chair(s).
Does the fact that a slot is assigned for discussing an ID mean
we must assume that it will be discussed, even if there's nothing
to discuss, or is a more explicit statement of intent required?
In either case, we don't want the requirements of a decision to
be made so difficult that there is a significant delay in getting
a decision.  If there is a noticeable delay, we do not find out
what the decision is until even later than we become aware that a
decision may be in the works.  If this happens a lot, then there
is no way to plan our reading in advance of a meeting.

--
Eric