Re: I-D file formats and internationalization

2005-11-30 14:56:16

On Nov 30, 2005, at 12:41 PM, Frank Ellermann wrote:

Robert Sayre wrote:

I'm sure someone has already suggested this approach,
but I'll add my voice to the chorus.

<http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-hoffman-utf8-rfcs>

I really don't like this approach for various reasons.

Rather than opening RFCs to text utilizing any character-set anywhere, as this draft suggests, there could be alternative UTF fields for an author's name and reference titles, and perhaps defined characters for simple line and table drawing that invoke automatic translation when an ASCII text version is generated. Being able to review the ID as it would appear as an RFC would also seem to be a requirement. It seems problematic for protocol examples to use non- ASCII characters owing to there not being ubiquitously displayable character-sets.

-Doug